Dr Kyung Hye KIM
Institute of Corpus Studies and Applications
2009-2013 PhD Translation and Intercultural Studies (University of Manchester, UK)
2008-2009 MA Translation and Interpreting Studies (University of Manchester, UK)
2006-2007 MA English Language and Literature (English Translation) BA-MA o-terminal/integrated programme, Sookmyung Women’s University,South Korea
2002-2006 BA English Language and Literature, Telecommunications, Sookmyung Women’s University, South Korea
2017-March 2021 Lecturer, Master of Translation and Interpreting Programme, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2018 Rutherford strategic international fellow, University of Warwick, UK
2014-2016 Post-doctoral research fellow, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2013-2014 Lecturer (Casual), Department of English Language and Literature, Sookmyung Women’s University, South Korea
2007-2008 YL-TESOL (Young Learner’s) program coordinator, Sookmyung Women’s University, South Korea
2021- IATIS Nomination Committee Chair, International Association for Translation & Intercultural Studies
2021- External partner of Global Health at the European University Alliance Circle U
2021- Member of Genealogies of Knowledge Research Network
2019- Assistant for International Cooperation & Committee on Industry-Academia Cooperation member, Korean Association for Translation Studies, Korea
2018- Editorial board member, Exchanges: The Interdisciplinary Research Journal, University of Warwick
2017- Deputy director and co-founder of SISU Baker Centre for Translation & Intercultural Studies, Shanghai International Studies University, China
2014- External tutor and examiner, University of Birmingham, UK
2010- Member of Korean Association of Translation Studies
2006- Member of the International Association for Translation & Intercultural Studies
2019 Principal Investigator. SJTU-Warwick Joint Seed Fund, title: Internationalisation in Higher Education in China: Enhancing home and international student experience
2019 Principal Investigator. 上海交通大学外国语学院“双一流”学科建设项目 (一般项目/自由申报项目), title: Internationalization of language and translation programs in the institutions of higher education in China
2018 Principal Investigator. 上海交通大学外国语学院教学研究项目, title: MTI International Students and Training: the Opportunities and Challenges
2018 The Rutherford Fund Strategic Partner Grant programme international fellowship, funded by Universities UK International (UUKI), and financed by the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BIES)
Corpus-based translation studies, critical discourse analysis, multilingualism in media translation
Articles in peer reviewed journals
1. 2021. Kyung Hye Kim and Jinsil Choi. ‘Discourses on Islam refugees in South Korean news: A corpus-based approach’. Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/15562948.2021.1982100
2. 2021. Kyung Hye Kim and Helen Spencer-Oatey. ‘Enhancing Postgraduate Recruitment from Diverse Countries: Managing Communication in the Application Process’, Higher Education: The International Journal of Higher Education Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-021-00681-z
3. 2021. Yifan Zhu and Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Introduction’, Interventions special issue: Translating Knowledges: within and beyond Asia, 23(7), 959-972.
4. 2021. Jinsil Choi and Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Translating Islamic knowledge for the new soil: two translations of Qur’an in South Korea’, Interventions special issue on Translating Knowledges: within and beyond Asia. 23(7), 973-996.
5. 2021. Kyung Hye Kim and Helen Spencer-Oatey. ‘Metapragmatic comments on relating across cultures Korean students’ uncertainties over relating to UK academics’. Pragmatics, 31(2), 198-224.
6. 2020. Jinsil Choi, Kyung Hye Kim and Jonathan Evans. ‘Fingersmith and The Handmaiden: transformation, adaptation, and translation’, Translation and Interpreting Studies.http://doi.org/10.1075/tis.19075.cho
7. 2020. Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Museum Translation as a political act: narrative engagement for affective experiences in the War and Women’s Human Rights Museum in Seoul’, Museum Management and Curatorship, 35(5), 551-566.
8. 2020. Yifan Zhu and Kyung Hye Kim. ‘The Individual on the move: Redefining ‘individualism’ in China’, Translation and Interpreting Studies, 15(2), 161-182.
9. 2020. Ji-Hae Kang and Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Collaborative translation: an instrument for commercial success or neutralizing a feminist message?’, Mapping Contemporary Audiovisual Translation in East Asia, Perspectives Special issue, 28(4), 487-503.
10. 2019. Ji-Hae Kang, Han-Nae Yu and Kyung Hye Kim. ‘정치적행위로서의공동체번역에관한시론적연구: ‘사회연결모델’의 ‘책임’ 개념을중심으로[Responsibility and Community Translation as a Political Act: Based on the ‘Social Connection Model’], 번역학연구 [Journal of Translation Studies], 20(2), 7-32.
11. 2018. Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Retranslation as a socially engaged activity: in the case of Rape of Nanking’, Perspectives, 26(3), 391-404.
12. 2017. Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Reframing the Victims of WWII through Translation: So Far from the Bamboo Grove and Yoko Iyagi’, Target, 29(1), 87-109.
13. 2014. Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Examining US News Media discourses about North Korea’, Discourse and Society, 25(2), 221-244.
1. 2020. Kyung Hye Kim and Yifan Zhu (eds).Researching Translation in the Age of Technology and Global Conflict, Routledge.
2. 2019. Kaibao Hu and Kyung Hye Kim (eds). Corpus-based Translation and Interpreting Studies in Chinese contexts: present and future, Palgrave Macmillan.
1. Forthcoming. Kyung Hye Kim and Kaibao Hu. ‘Corpus-Based Translation Studies’, in Anne Lange, Christopher Rundle and Daniele Monticelli (eds). Routledge Handbook on the History of Translation Studies, Routledge.
2. 2019. Kyung Hye Kim. The entry on ‘Critical Discourse Analysis’, in Mona Baker and Gabriela Saldanha (eds). Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies, 3rd edition, London and New York: Routledge, pp. 119-124.
EDITED SPECIAL ISSUES
1. 2021. Yifan Zhu and Kyung Hye Kim. Interventions special issue: Translating Knowledges: within and beyond Asia.
REVIEWS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
1. 2021. Jinsil Choi, Jonathan Evans and Kyung Hye Kim. (2021). ‘Response by Choi, Evans and Kim to “Representing experiential knowledge”’, Translation Studies,Forum contribution, https://doi.org/10.1080/14781700.2021.1971109
2. 2018. Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Book Review: Cho, Heekyoung (2016). Translation’s Forgotten History: Russian Literature, Japanese Mediation, and the Formation of Modern Korean Literature’, Journal of Translation Studies, 2(1), 193-197.
3. 2010. Kyung Hye Kim. ‘Book review: Lexis and Creativity in Translation: A Corpus-based Study by Dorothy Kenny’, FORUM, 8(2), 285-291.